Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Do you like my socks?


Most of you know that I work at Mililani Middle School as a teacher's aide in the fully self contained classroom. These are the kids who have autism, severe ADHD, or mild mental retardation. It has it's challenges, but i love it. The kids never cease to entertain with their burning questions or outlandish declarations.
Well, yesterday, I had an experience that was most certainly blog worthy in my opinion. I was out with my students at recess when a boy named Dean came and sat with my class. Dean is in another FSC class. He is blind and also has other mental disabilities. He sat next to Lola, a girl in my class who absolutely LOVES boys. She also likes for me to sit by her and talk to her whenever possible. So when Dean came to sit by her, Lola called me over and said, "Miss Kathleen, this is Dean." Dean then grabbed my arm, stood and asked, "who are you?" (considering he is blind, he has to identify you by voice.)
I leaned closer and said, "I'm Miss Kathleen, I'm the teacher's helper." Dean then paused briefly. He seemed to be thinking about something for a moment and then put this little grin on his face. He leaned closer and said, "Miss Kathleen? Do you like my socks?" then twisted his ankle as to give me a better look at his white ankle highs.
I was a bit puzzled by this question, but when you work with FSC it doesn't really phase you that much. I looked down at his tattered little socks and said, "Yes Dean, they are really nice."
Immediatly after, I heard another teacher who had been standing near me earlier, interject with,
"DEAN!! what are you doing??!" I was a little scared, what was so bad about a little blind boy asking me if i liked his socks?
"Sorry, Dean likes to try to get new people to take off his shoes and socks." I looked at Dean as his plan had been foiled. He grinned a little mischeivious grin that told me that was exactly his plan. the little trickster.
I love my job.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I like your socks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is too funny. you have such a rewarding job and it makes a world of difference to those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your job sounds awesome!
    I loved that story.
    I wonder how many people Dean has tricked into removing his shoes and socks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing story. I also try to get people to take off my shoes and socks. Its liberating

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have similar experiences at school but it is so fun. are you subbing or you are permanant?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, you will be a good mom! You learned from the best I like your mom very much. Missed seeing your cute face last week on Maui.

    ReplyDelete