Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lessons i learned in school

Yesterday I worked with the fully self contained kids. The moment I arrived I was greeted with a high five and told that i looked nice and that I look like Hannah Montana. I felt so welcome.
I asked the teacher what kinds of disabilities these kids have and she said they range from autism to mild mental retardation. Regardless, these kids had the biggest hearts. I helped one of my students named Ryan with some sentences he was writing while I knelt by his desk with my hands resting on the table. As he was writing I told him, "you know, I have a brother named Ryan." He simply looked down at me with a huge grin on his face, patted my hands and made this little high pitched whinny laugh. It was so cute. What was even cuter, was when one boy came over and handed Ryan a drawing of some balloons. I said, "Nathan, that's lovely, did you draw it for Ryan?" he said he had and Ryan just looked up at him and said, "thanks man." I was so close to crying.
On another occasion I had to watch one of the boys who had lost his recess because he had acted up in class the day before. His assignment was just to read until recess was over. Which he did without complaint. While he was reading, he had skipped to the end of the book while I wasn't looking and finished it. When he told me he was done, I asked if he had skipped to the end of the book. He just got this kind of sheepish smile on his face and said, "yeah." so again, without complaint, he turned to the beginning of the book and continued reading. How many middle schoolers would be happy to do that?

So I ask myself today, why can't we all just cooperate with the rules, draw each other pictures, smile, and give high fives? And we think they are the disabled ones...

heres my dear ol mummy boxing on the wii. I had a great video too but for some reason it wouldn't load.

4 comments:

  1. You will be a wonderful mother Kathleen! Tell you mom I dislike her very much - she is always skinny - that Bonny has some good genes!
    love - your very disabled Aunty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should go and visit that classroom more often. I like having you go to school with me again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleenie welcome to the blogging world. I am very glad that I get to add you to my list of blogs. This was a very cute, thoughtful post...so true about the high fives and similes (but, that's pretty much what my husband does most of the time...what does that say about him?!)
    Heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love how you ended this sweet, sincere blog with your mom boxing which is not drawing pictures or giving high fives. Bean, that is really sweet. Those kids sound awesome and full of lovelovelove. i like this story.
    p.s. thanks for calling me.

    ReplyDelete